Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Peaches, Avocado, and Goat Cheese Spinach Salad with Lemon & Honey Dressing

Last summer I was inspired by a Cooking Light recipe for a Prosciutto, Peach, and Sweet Lettuce Salad. So here is how I spun the recipe yesterday, which started my first full week off from school (woo-hoo!):

Ingredient List
     handful or two of spinach
     1 peach, diced
     1/2 avocado, diced
     goat cheese
     sunflower seeds

for the dressing I combined olive oil (about 2 tbs), a couple squeezes of lemon, a few grates of lemon zest, a squirt of honey, a grind of pepper, and the tiniest pinch of kosher salt


Notes and Tips

  • When formulating salads, think of it this way: lettuce, 2-4 base ingredients, 1 cheese, 1 nut, and 1 herb.
  • A healthier way to approach dressing is to use olive oil, honey, pinch of salt and pepper, and your choice of fresh citrus juice and zest.
  • What to do with the other avocado half? My tactic for the least amount of browning is to wrap the half with the pit tightly in plastic wrap. If I have a lemon or lime available I will squirt a dash of that before wrapping, but it is not necessary. I refrigerate and use within a day or two. Since the exposed surface area is minimal, the browning is not too bad. Just remove the pit and shave off a thin amount from the top layer.

Padre loves goat cheese just as much as I do. He is my little vulture in the kitchen. :)


1 comment:

  1. I only started eating avocados a couple of years ago and now I'm hooked! I love dicing it up with some tomatoes, salt, and chili pepper. Will have to try it with the sweetness of a peach too!

    ReplyDelete

Web Statistics