Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Removing Blackheads - Trying Out a Homemade Egg White and Coffee Filter Mask


Still not satisfied with the results of the Joey New York Peel-Off Masque that I ordered in October (see blog post here), I sought out alternatives. Not finding anything I was willing to buy, I searched for home recipes, and an egg white mask seemed like the easiest option. Thanks to the ladies at Crunchy Betty, Handmade Reviews, and MakeupAlley, I came up with the following...

I started with a facial massage using DHC's deep cleansing oil, then cleansed with DHC's mild soap and my Clarisonic Mia. Next, I opened my pores by soaking a wash cloth in warm water and holding it to my face. Each time the washcloth started to lose its warmth, I ran it under warm water. I dedicated about three minutes to this step.

For the mask, I used the whites of one egg and tore up one coffee filter. I spread three layers of egg whites over my face (I was careful around the eyes and mouth) using my hands. Then, I covered my face with the coffee filter pieces and added two more coats of egg whites on top of that (see a pic of me covered in gooey paper). It took my mask about thirty minutes to dry. Off it came. Any remaining egg was washed away with warm water, then followed up with my usual night time toner.

My results? Noticeably clear pores. I will definitely try this method again.

To receive 20% off your skinstore.com order, use code HEARTS20. The deal ends Monday, February 11. I am re-stocking on my Topix Gly Sal pads. If you suffer from cystic acne, I highly suggest you read this blog post. I am also trying out a Borghese eye cream.

15 comments:

  1. Pretty cool alternative! I have to give it a try. Does your face smell like eggs afterward =)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually did not even notice a smell while it was on. Let me know if you do try it out!

      Delete
  2. Very interesting Michelle...thanks for sharing! Of course I had to hop on over to that photo of you covered in paper. Wonder how the gooey raw egg whites feel on the face. I'm a little scared to try as I can't even stand them undercooked on a breakfast plate, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah...I did not want the paper picture visible on here at all times...so figured a link to it was less embarrassing. :p Initially I did not feel grossed out and it felt like any other wet to dry mask. But after all was done, my husband made a comment about me having chicken fetus juice on my face...which I really did not want to think about.

      Delete
  3. Fascinating! I don't think the kids would let me sit there with stuff on my face for 30 min, but otherwise, I'd totally try :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! I try to avoid my husband when I have a mask on...afraid of laughing and cracking it

      Delete
  4. This interesting alternative. I would have to give this a try. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i had to look to see the picture too! i don't know if i'd be patient enough to do it, but it's definitely worth trying! thank you for this tip!

    xox P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhh how interesting!! I usually pop my white/black heads with my fingers. Will have to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am guilty of that too. I have considered ordering a blackhead remover tool...but it looks a little harsh. Any experience with that?

      Delete
  7. Ou! very interesting. I will have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Michelle, I just tried Dr. Gross's alpha beta peel and it was magical (Step 1 and Step 2). I think you can order small quantities to sample and at one point Sephora had it as a beauty insider gift. Much less messier than the eggs. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the suggestion! I recently discovered a line of skincare called Paula's Choice that I am loving. I will post a review soon. :)

      Delete
  9. i love that you took a pic of that!! maybe i'll try when i have extra eggs. i dont know why but egg white texture usually creeps me out a little. you're turning 30, what?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have done egg white masks before and they do help with blackheads because egg whites form an easy mask - and it tightens my pores, thus reducing chances of future blackheads. It does get a bit messy though. When I do not want to get mess, I use the Clay Blackhead Mask from Citrus Clear. Both are excellent!

    ReplyDelete

Web Statistics