Tuesday, August 21, 2012

TOMS: How to Remove the Tag & How to Wash

I recently purchased the TOMS desert booties from Nordstrom. They are almost a completely neutral wedge. Although not enough to prevent me from making my purchase, there is the blue tag. A reader had suggested to remove the tag with a seam ripper. Not wanting to try my first attempt on a brand new pair of shoes (and still not sure if I will have the guts), here is how my experiment went with an older pair of canvas flats:

How to Remove the Tag


I used a seam ripper and a pair of nail scissors. Now that I see this image, you might even be able to get away with using just the nail scissors.




Insert the seam ripper under each thread until all have been undone. Gently remove tag. Cut the remaining strings.




Padre had a love-hate relationship with the left shoe as I removed the strings from the right.


I missed a few spots, but the strings shown above easily came out. I thought for sure there would be more of an obvious dark spot where the tags were, especially since I have owned these for over a year.


How to Wash


After attempting several Google searches for how to remove TOMS tag, I came up with no examples of it working. But I did stumble across this blog post on how to wash a pair of TOMS. Here is what I did:

I used a very small amount of gentle detergent. I chose the handwash setting with cold water on my washer. This equates to 48 minutes on medium spin. I let them dry outside in the sun for about ten minutes before bringing them into the shade. The temperature was over 100°.


Before washing.


I promise this is the after image! Not much of a difference on the surface. The smell was lessened a bit. The only way I can think to explain the change is by saying it was as if I had only worn them five times rather than thirty. Regarding the fit, they felt just like they did when I first received them.


This is an image of them right after coming out of the washing machine. The inside of the left shoe showed some puffiness, but it went back down after it dried.


TOMS Sunglass


Since we are on the subject of TOMS, I noticed that they are selling sunglasses. I am pleased to see they offer a few polarized options. The "One for One" for this product is: Every pair purchased will help TOMS give sight to one person in need—through medical treatment, prescription eyeglasses or sight-saving surgery.

top: navigator (polarized), maverick, sandela
bottom: windward polarized, beachmaster (polarized and fun colors), classic 102


Hope you are enjoying your week!! :)

17 comments:

  1. Thank you for the very useful tips. I have always wanted a pair of Toms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you do light walking they are nice. I have mostly used them walking around Seattle, on P.E. days with my old class, and occasionally to the mall.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for this! I have a pair of TOMS (and plan to get another pair when I head to the US). This tip is useful for the "nicer" TOMS shoes like your boots, but I like having the tag on my slip-ons! I love that Padre is cuddling with your shoes. haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, the slip-on tags are no biggie. I wanted to remove the tag to make the booties dressier and completely neutral. But I might just deal with it being there because I am too chicken! Yeah, Padre (and the rest) love to be a part of the action. They are always around "helping" :)

      Delete
  3. awesome! i need to clean my black ones. they get dirty so quick.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmmm, interesting. i've never thought of just removing the tag

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michelle!! Thanks always for your sweet comments on my blog!! =) That is so funny you wrote about this because I have the SAME exact pair of TOMs except mine are way more faded. Also I recently hand-washed mine and dried them outside but both the inner soles got all lumpy. I'm hoping it will go down after I wear it a couple more times though. Thanks for the washing tips!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolute lifesaver. I have a metallic pair and a crochet pair that always gets dirty. I also put the sneaker in the freezer in a plastic bag to kill all the bacteria and remove smells after I wash and dry. Great post

    http://goodsie.com/store/stylebyxu/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a super interesting tip about the freezer! I never would have thought of that.

      Delete
  7. Do you like your TOMS shoes? I'm assuming so since you just bought the wedges, too. My boss has the wedges and loves them. I've thought about buying a pair of their flats for awhile, but the price gets me since they seem so simple for $50. Would love to hear your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are right about the price and the simplicity. When I bought my navy pair last summer, I was desperate for a pair of casual and sock-less walking shoes for Seattle, so anything under $100 sounded appealing. These were the perfect solution. Not sure if you are in that state of mind where you just need something like that. Definitely worth a try, though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Did you ever take the tag off the wedges? I tried today and saw the tag is GLUED on. Doh. Would leave a big mark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No...I ended up returning the wedges. Sucks about the tag being glued on! I think I would have been too chicken to attempt it on the wedges.

      Delete
    2. My aunt also removed the logos off her desert wedges and was able to get the glue off using a "suede eraser." Haven't tried it for myself yet, but might be worth the try in your case!

      Delete
    3. Thanks for sharing! I ended up returning the wedges due to fit and changing my mind on what I "needed" in my closet. :)

      Delete
  10. i just bought the wool tweed wedges - has anyone tried removing the tag from them? i felt glue residue on the edge that isn't stitched down but would hate to remove the tag and have a big blotch there. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just removed the tag from mine. The glue came off by just rubbing it with my thumb, and rolling it a bit. For any glue remaining, I just used a bit of water and detergent, and rubbed it with a cloth. It seems fine now.

    ReplyDelete

Web Statistics