Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Oven-Steamed Broccoli and Red Peppers with Peanut Butter Sauce



The original recipe inspiration involved more work than I wanted to put forth, so I made some alterations in order to minimize the amount of clean-up. Overall, I was very pleased with my first try and have made it a handful of times since! I am even planning on preparing it today to go with my leftover baked chicken fingers.


Ingredient List


     1 cup bite-sized broccoli
     1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
     15 unsalted peanuts
     1 teaspoon olive oil
     kosher salt
     12"x16" sheet aluminum foil

for the peanut butter sauce

     1 tablespoon creamy peanut butter
     1 tablespoon water
     1 teaspoon low sodium soy sauce
     3/4 teaspoon brown sugar

     yields one serving


Preheat oven to 350°. Center the broccoli and red peppers on a 12"x16" piece of foil. Drizzle with olive oil and a pinch of salt. Wrap up the foil to create a packet that does not release any steam. See my simple technique here. Cook in oven on middle rack for fifteen minutes.




While the vegetables are cooking, prepare the peanut butter sauce. Mix peanut butter, water, soy sauce, and sugar until creamy.


Cover about 15 peanuts in a paper towel and give a few smacks to break up slightly.


When the vegetables are done, carefully remove from packet and mix with your peanut butter sauce. Toss in the peanuts.


>>> Click here for printable recipe


Notes

  • If you want to make this a bigger meal, or stretch this between two people, add more vegetables and mix it with some brown rice
  • Make just the peanut butter sauce to spread over crackers


What would you change to make this fit your unique tastes?
Let me know if you try this recipe or your own variation!



Related Content

Why a recipe post? See my introduction to this summer segment here
View all recipe posts



7 comments:

  1. Sounds really delish! I make peanut sauce quite often and I never get tired of the flavor :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. love peanut sauce!that looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really need to learn peanuts sauce! Can't wait to try your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a peanut sensitivity, so I'd replace peanuts with cashews!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is the recipe i been waitin for! thx

    ReplyDelete

Web Statistics