Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Oat Bars with Walnuts and Cranberries



Despite my very poor baking skills (I usually burn cookies), I wanted to give Ellie Krieger's energy bar recipe a try. I was slightly nervous because I have always heard how precise baking needed to be, and here I go leaving out three ingredients: figs, ginger, and dry milk. Despite their absence, I was successful with my initial batch. Since then (sometime back in April or May), I have been making these about once a week. For all you non-bakers out there, this should be easy for you! Plus, the prep time takes me less than ten minutes.


Ingredient List

     1 cup oats
     1 cup bran cereal
     1 cup walnuts
     1/2 cup dried cranberries
     1/4 cup whole wheat flour
     3/4 tsp cinnamon
     2 eggs
     1/4 cup honey

     yields 9 bars






Preheat oven to 350°. Line a baking dish with non-stick foil. Place the dry ingredients in a food processor for about ten seconds.




Add the remaining ingredients. Pulse a few times, then mix until a clump forms. About ten seconds.




Place the mixture on your foil-lined dish. Using your hands, spread the mixture about 1/4 inch thick. You know you have been successful if your mixture is really sticky and somewhat difficult to maneuver. Try not to let the edges taper too thin, as this causes them to burn.




Bake for 20 minutes. Let cool slightly before removing from pan. About 5 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and cut into 9 squares.


Ellie Krieger suggests storing in an airtight container for three days or individually wrapping pieces to freeze for up to three months. Personally, I have eaten these up do day five.

>>> Click here for printable recipe



Notes and Tools

  • I use the Cuisinart 14-cup food processor
  • I like to store foods in glass containers with lids. I picked up a few by Pyrex from the HomeGoods Store. Macy's has a great deal on a set of 10 glass Pyrex dishes
  • I am starting to use a combination of 1/2 cup All-Bran and 1/2 cup Cracklin' Oat Bran. The one time I tried using strictly All-Bran, I did not like result. I probably did not put enough honey in the mixture AND added a bland cereal. The result was dry and not as tasty.
  • I am really tempted to replace the current nut and dried fruit I use with macadamia nuts and dried pineapple!


What would you change to make this fit your unique tastes?
Let me know if you try this recipe or your own variation!



Related Content

Why a recipe post? See my introduction to this summer segment here
View all recipe posts



2 comments:

  1. I don't bake well, but my mom does. This may be something I foist on her ;)

    You seem to have such a healthy diet full of veggies and fruits - very commendable! If I had my way, I'd eat butter-laden carbs with bacon everyday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! Let me know if she tries them. :)

      Bacon is always amazing! :) One of the nearby stores sell jalapeno bacon!

      Delete

Web Statistics