Tuesday, July 3, 2012

The Packet Method: Oven-Steamed Broccoli



My husband detests broccoli, but I love those smelly greens! So how can I make a dinner for both of us but still have my broccoli without too much hassle? It is super simple with my packet method. Let's say I am making my broiled tomato and bell pepper sauce for dinner. All I do is throw my broccoli packet in the oven while the pasta is cooking. When the meal is ready, I mix the broccoli in my own bowl. It never touches the sauce my husband will be consuming, and no extra pot for him to clean! Of course, there are so many other uses for the packet method. The bottom line is, life in the kitchen will be so much easier!


Ingredient List

     1 cup chopped broccoli
     extra virgin olive oil
     kosher salt
     12"x16" sheet of aluminum foil

     yields one serving


Preheat the oven to 350 °. On the sheet of foil, toss broccoli, olive oil and a pinch of salt.








Center the broccoli. Lift up the longer sides and bring together, forming a middle seam. Fold this once and flatten out. Fold the ends twice.


Cook on middle rack for 10-15 minutes.

>>> Click here for printable recipe


My Inspiration Was...


Emeril Lagasse. Over a year ago (or maybe even two!) I was watching Fresh Food Fast with Emeril Lagasse and his Shrimp en Papillote recipe grabbed my attention. Not being a shrimp lover, I was most interested in the technique he used to steam the vegetables in the oven. I decided to attempt it with broccoli, tomatoes, and soy sauce. I loved the results, but not the inconvenience of the parchment paper. After using foil on my next attempt, I have not returned to the former since.


Notes and Tools

  • Mix in some beans and another vegetable or two to create a light lunch.
  • This method can be used with so many different vegetables. Play around with the cooking time to achieve your desired level of doneness


What would you change to make this fit your unique tastes?
Let me know if you try this recipe or your own variation!



Related Content

Why a recipe post? See my introduction to this summer segment here
View all recipe posts



8 comments:

  1. I'd never heard of the packet method before but this is so easy, and I bet no cleanup either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recipe! I got to try this some time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the recipe! That is really interesting method for me, I would try sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can this be done with frozen broccoli?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the late response, Brittany. I check this blog rarely since starting up a new one.
      I have not tried this with frozen broccoli. I would think it would work, though.

      Delete
  5. Wow this is great, I'm trying this tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great idea that I have found doesn't work with a lot of broccoli. I cooked 4 lbs at once for Easter, and it took over 40 minutes and a good deal of water to steam it until it was done. Just FYI. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete

Web Statistics