Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Baked Crepes Stuffed with Beans, Veggies, Cheese, and Pepperoni



I loved this dish so much that I made it two days in a row for lunch! The original inspiration is from a blog called Maria's Farm Country Kitchen. I came to her blog from a Google search for pasta sauce ideas. As I browsed her recipes more, Manicotti from Heaven was a perfect match for me! I ended up forgetting to buy ricotta at the store, so I improvised and mashed up some white beans.


Ingredient List


for the crepes
     1 egg
     1/4 cup water
     1/4 cup whole wheat flour
     pinch of salt

for the filling
     1/2 cup cannellini beans
     1/2 cup diced vegetables
     1 tablespoon goat cheese
     6+ slices pepperoni, diced

     1/2 cup or more pasta sauce

     makes two


Mix the egg and water. Add the flour and salt and combine until smooth. Set aside.


Mash the beans. Add goat cheese and pepperoni.




If desired, saute your vegetables. I sauteed my carrots and onion for a little more than three minutes on medium heat. Add to filling mixture and combine.




Pour half the crepe batter onto a non-stick skillet lightly coated with olive oil. Cook for one minute over medium heat on each side. Repeat once more with remaining batter.


Line the middle of each crepe with the filling. Roll up one side, then the next.


Line a baking dish with non-stick foil. Pour 1/2 your pasta sauce on bottom. Add the crepes. Top with the remaining pasta sauce. Garnish with more goat cheese. Bake on 350° for 30 minutes.

>>> Click here for printable recipe


What would you change to make this fit your unique tastes?
Let me know if you try this recipe or your own variation!



Related Content

Why a recipe post? See my introduction to this summer segment here
View all recipe posts



7 comments:

  1. I'm seeing a common theme...your recipes have a lot of veggies! Something that I don't get enough of so I really hope to try these. May I ask how long it takes you to make something like this? The end result looks de-lish, but I'm picturing it taking hours total to whip up the crepes, mash beans, cook veggies, etc. And i'm guessing you made these for lunch at home and don't bring them to school?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For this recipe the prep time should only take about 10 or 15 minutes once learned. The first time making anything tends to be longer than usual.

      When I made this dish the second time, I already had a few things made or prepped from a day or two before: pasta sauce leftover from dinner, carrot was already washed, skinned, and ready to be diced, 1/4 leftover onion was stored in fridge (wrapped in plastic AND in a container...those things stink up the fridge if not properly stored!!), beans were already rinsed and in a container. Basically, that is why I came up with the combo that I did...I used whatever ingredients I had around. My thought process for lunch this week was....what do I have that will "go to waste" soon? How can I make a meal with it?

      And, yes...this was just at home. When I do go back to school, I only bring cold lunches with me...the community microwave grosses me out!

      Delete
  2. FOOD! Your blog is getting dangerous to browse in the late evening. I'm supposed to be winding down, not salivating at food pics LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks easy (lol, I noticed only the ingredients), surely will try it :)
    thank you for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks yummy! Definitely will try! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Web Statistics