Friday, June 22, 2012

Recipe: Broiled Tomato and Bell Pepper Sauce



I am not sure how long we have been making this sauce, but there have probably been different variations over the last five years. This would definitely be labeled our "go-to" dinner, as it gets made at least once a week. I do encourage you to omit or add ingredients of your choice. I make some suggestions at the end of this post.


Ingredient List

     9 roma tomatoes
     1 red bell pepper
     1 garlic clove
     1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
     salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, crushed red pepper flakes

     serves two when made with 3 cups whole grain penne




Deseed the tomatoes. Remove the tops (save these...explanation comes later) and cut in half vertically. Cut two small slits around the seeds to make removal easier. Using either your fingers or a spoon, scoop out the seeds.




Deseed the bell pepper. Cut around the top and remove the stem and seeds. Cut in half and rinse out any remaining seeds.


Arrange tomatoes, bell pepper, and garlic in a broiler-safe pan lined with foil. Top with 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1/2 teaspoon of salt (I use kosher).




Position oven rack inches from broiler and insert baking dish. Broil for 10 to 15 minutes, or until you are satisfied with the broil marks. This is how mine looks after 15 minutes of being in the broiler without preheating the oven.


Carefully transfer broiled ingredients into a food processor. A soup ladle helps lessen the amount of spills on the counter.




Add puree to a pot. Add 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning, a few cracks of freshly ground pepper (regular is also fine), and a pinch of pepper flakes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Let simmer, uncovered, for twenty minutes (or until thickened to your liking), stirring occasionally.


Serve with the pasta of your choice.


Remember when I suggested saving the tomato tops? Rather than toss them out, dice them up. They should be firm not flimsy. They are great to use for lunch the next day. Just the other week I tossed my leftover tops with salmon, edamame, white kidney beans, scallions, and goat cheese. It was so good!!

>>> Click here for printable recipe


Notes and Tools

  • I am notorious for under-salting my dishes, so you may want to add more
  • I highly recommend Penzeys Spices. Their prices are great compared to what you would pay at a standard grocery store.
  • If you love onions in your pasta sauce, those broil up nicely with the other ingredients
  • Add two cups of vegetables to this dish. I recommend equal parts of diced carrots (skin removed), celery, and zucchini. Saute them for 5-10 minutes over medium heat, then add the broiled mixture and cook as directed above.
  • Add 1/2 cup or more of vegetable stock to make this into a soup.
  • Cook the sauce longer to make an appetizer spread to serve with toasted bread
  • I use the Cuisinart 14-cup food processor
  • For years now I have been using a 9" x 13" Pyrex baking dish in the broiler despite the "no broiler" warning on the dish. Do so at your own risk!


What would you change to make this fit your unique tastes?
Let me know if you try this recipe or your own variation!



Related Content

Why a recipe post? See my introduction to this summer segment here

19 comments:

  1. Yum, Michelle. So glad you started the cooking posts. I am enjoying the great pictures and detailed step by step instructions. I might even try this. :) Everything seems doable, expect I don't like using food processor. lol. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! You could always use a blender! :) Hope you have a nice weekend, too! :)

      Delete
  2. This looks pretty delicious! Will definitely have to give this recipe a try!

    ariarhapsody.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joy! Let me know if you do! :)

      Delete
  3. Looks so yummy! I'm sending this recipe to my bf so he can make it for me. LoL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is nice that he cooks for you!!

      Delete
  4. Michelle - pls pls pls do more of these posts! I love learning new dishes esp healthy, tried and true ones. Giada was my favorite to watch too, alongside Ina garten!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah...cooking is definitely my #1 passion! Ina is another good one! I have made so many things in less than two weeks off, it is nuts! Lots of pictures and recipes to share! I feel like I need to do a food blog!

      Delete
  5. You make your own sauce once a week? That's impressive! I need to stop being lazy and using only jar sauce lol....thanks for the inspiration, it looks so tasty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! I should actually make a big batch of it and freeze the leftovers...maybe something I will look into.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Hey Leena! Thanks for stopping by! I miss your blog!

      Delete
  7. yum!! i do something like this, but use only basil in it. this looks great - will try it for sure! xox P

    phiphisblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! Basil is a great addition! It would be nice if I could grow my own...the cats would chew on it all the time. I need to think of a solution to that problem.

      Delete
  8. Looks really yummy. Love your food post! This recipe is def worth a try.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my, this looks soooo good! I've never attempted making my own tomato sauce. It's so hard just finding a good sauce in general (from restaurants to the jarred kind), that I figured it was a tough task. You've inspired me though - am pinning this to try later!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks SS and SPG! I also wanted to note that I do leave the skins on (out of laziness). Some people do not like the skins left on, others do. You can always do a Google search on how to remove them if you are part of the "don't like skins" group. :)

      Delete
  10. Michelle! I never realized how easy it is to make tomato sauce! Might give this one a try - on a weekend of course so if I ruin it we can always go out LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE!!! hahaha i'm so glad for this post cuz i was actually not informed on how to make your own tomato sauce. doh!

    ReplyDelete

Web Statistics