I am not sure how long we have been making this sauce, but there have probably been different variations over the last five years. This would definitely be labeled our "go-to" dinner, as it gets made at least once a week. I do encourage you to omit or add ingredients of your choice. I make some suggestions at the end of this post.
9 roma tomatoes
1 red bell pepper
1 garlic clove
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, crushed red pepper flakes
serves two when made with 3 cups whole grain penne
Notes and Tools
- I am notorious for under-salting my dishes, so you may want to add more
- I highly recommend Penzeys Spices. Their prices are great compared to what you would pay at a standard grocery store.
- If you love onions in your pasta sauce, those broil up nicely with the other ingredients
- Add two cups of vegetables to this dish. I recommend equal parts of diced carrots (skin removed), celery, and zucchini. Saute them for 5-10 minutes over medium heat, then add the broiled mixture and cook as directed above.
- Add 1/2 cup or more of vegetable stock to make this into a soup.
- Cook the sauce longer to make an appetizer spread to serve with toasted bread
- I use the Cuisinart 14-cup food processor
- For years now I have been using a 9" x 13" Pyrex baking dish in the broiler despite the "no broiler" warning on the dish. Do so at your own risk!
What would you change to make this fit your unique tastes?
Let me know if you try this recipe or your own variation!
Why a recipe post? See my introduction to this summer segment here