Sunday, January 8, 2012

J. Crew New Ankle Stretch Toothpick Jean in White Denim


j. crew new ankle stretch toothpick jean in white denim, 24
style #59424   full price: $98.00


As you can see from the coming soon page, I have several newer J. Crew items lined up. I noticed that they have unfortunately brought back their scary "final sale." Those words always make me nervous, rarely do I purchase items with that label. So on my last visit, I sought out quite a few pieces that I thought readers might be interested in purchasing. I hope these fitting room pics can give you more confidence when buying items marked with those dreaded words!



My first impression was that I loved these pants! I have been craving white jeans, mostly because of Khatu.



Upon further inspection, I noticed that the front pocket lining was apparent.



Slight pinching at the sides, but the next size up would have probably been too big for me. A thong is a must!



I do have to say, I was wearing undergarments with a bright red lace trim and design, but the color did not show through. So that is a huge plus for white pants!


The day I tried these on, there was a 30% off the entire store promotion. That was not enough to get me to buy these. I put them on more than once trying to figure out if I liked them. What caused my second guessing was the bunching of the fabric at the front pockets, below the rear, and at the knees. But when I compare these pics with the ones of the fun blue grotto ones I just got from J. Crew, they seem similar. And I love my blue pants! I am considering buying other colors if the size 24 ever makes it to sale at the right price.


What do you think of the fit? Should I consider getting these after a significant sale? Or is the fit all wrong?


Related Content

See my reviews of the J. Crew vintage cotton long-sleeve v-neck tee in stripe and vintage cotton v-neck tee that I am wearing in this post

17 comments:

  1. Great that material is thick enough not to show underwear... but I think because of that you can see front pocket line. I would say pass for now and look for another pair in other bland. Spring is coming you might be able find another better pair too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent point about seeking out other pairs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, at first look I thought everything looked good. When I looked more closely, it seems like the bunching at the front pockets in your 2nd fitting room photo look a little strange. But not sure if I'm just looking for something wrong because you mentioned it! If it bothers you, I think you should hold out for a better white denim.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I plan to just have one pair of white denim jeans in my wardrobe, I would definitely wait out. I am sure there will be more white denim options once we get into Feb and March.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would pass on these, seeing the pocket lining would drive me crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh i hate when the pocket linings come through! i definitely like the blues one you have much better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A good pair of white denim is so hard to come buy...I own one pair but don't love them..I'm also keeping an eye out for a better alternative!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think much of anything would be a bad fit on you Michelle ;) I do have to say, very impressed that your underwear didn't show through but I do hate visible pocket lines on white pants! All in all, I'm thinking you can find better though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm surprised that the back of the pants look better than the front. Most of the time I feel like people have a difficult time finding pants that flatter their behind because some jeans can make your butt look flat/saggy. But in this case, the pants look great from the sides and back. It's just the lining in the front that I would make me hesitant from purchasing it. Overall, I think the fit looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ok...I will seek out other options!
    Thanks ladies! :)

    @Callandra Yes! I was very excited about the no-visible-panty-color...so much that I had to share my joy with the SA (I was shopping alone that day!). Thankfully, she did not visibly think I was weird! :p

    ReplyDelete
  11. The back looks great but the front look meh. I didn't like that the pocket lining makes the front bunch. With spring around the corner, you will be able to find a better pair.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The back and sides look good but the pocket-show-thru always stops me from buying white jeans. What is with that?? I think you should keep looking.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think the blue version fit better on you but I feel like white jeans are a must-have for the spring. Keep searching and maybe go back to get these when a big sale comes! I think we are about the same size in jeans/pants cuz we both don't have flat behinds. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  14. The pockets wouldn't stop me. Just have the tailor sew them shut and cut them off. I've done that with many pants, I never use front pockets!

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Karen (littlepiecefnb) It is nice to have a body double! :)

    @Desert Flower That is a great idea! At a lower price, I would definitely consider doing something like that! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. FWIW, I once read on a blog to size up one in white jeans. Seems to work in some cases. The waist may not fit, but it might be worth getting tailored if the rest of the pants have a great fit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info! I will give it a try on my next visit! :)

      Delete

Web Statistics